Life is about constant change and movement. We all live storm-focused lives. We are either approaching, going through or coming out the storms of life. Just like change, storms are constant and inevitable. The most important part of weathering your storm is your outlook. Are your eyes fixed on all of the turbulence of the storm? Or is your heart filled with anticipation for the sunshine and rainbows once the storm is over? It’s all about perspective.
Let me be honest. There were times when I embraced change like getting a hug from a bill collector. However, I have learned to kiss change on the lips like it’s Idris Elba! Don’t judge me…I can love Jesus and Idris. And really, I have learned to love change.
Our children can also sense when change is happening. They pay more attention to what we do and less to what we say. They take their cues from on how to deal with adversity, change, disappointment and the storms of life. My 6 year old told me to write these four things about life in my blog.
She is like E.F. Hutton when she talks, people listen:
- Your life is like money. The more you have the more you grow.
- Your life is like a grocery bag. You keep filling up your dreams.
- The earth is like life. It goes around and around. Then your dreams come true.
- Your life is like traffic. Sometimes you get stuck. But then the light turns green and you can go again.
Profound words for a 6 year old. And I am not just saying that because she is cute and mine!
She has a front row seat to my real life 9 to 5 changing in a very long, drawn-out manner. In the words of my mama “it don’t take all day to do nothing”; it’s taking all day. While I am in the middle of this storm I have taken this time to work on me: my dreams, hopes, purpose and passion. She sees this process and is paying attention to my response. I am trying my best to instill in her that:
- Your attitude determines your altitude.
- In all situations you are either the teacher or the pupil. Your response determines which side of the desk you sit on.
- Love what you do and do what you love.
It really helps to understand that we are sent on assignments from God. Once your assignment is up, you move on to the next one. But ONLY if you are OPEN enough for God to USE you! Our journeys are never about us, they are always about what God is doing to us and through us for the betterment of His Kingdom.