EnVogue had a song that said “free your mind and the rest will follow”. Biblical scripture speaks 66 times about renewing your mind. I love the New Living Translation version of Romans 12:2 2 “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect”. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ll take new person for $100 Alex! And I would rather let God make me a new person than do it myself.
If someone would have told me 5 years ago that I would be sitting at my dining room table writing a blog, sipping green tea, and trying to keep my 6 year from distracting me with her fake gymnastics I would have given them a mean side eye and smirk. To be honest I was not in a mind renewal mindset. My mindset was FIXED. I was miserable, in the midst of divorce #2, and trying not to sink in my sorrows. And I really didn’t think it could get better.
But guess what? It did. One day, I made a decision to have a made up mind. I decided to renew my mind. Step away from a fixed mindset and run as fast as I could towards my new reality. My growth mindset. A growth mindset says the following things:
- I can learn anythings I want to: I learned how to start my own blog and business.
- When I am frustrated, I persevere: I used to get on my own nerves when my plans didn’t go the way I thought they should. Now when situations go left and I want them to go right, I just look at it through a different lens. In essence, I keep it pushin’.
- I want to challenge myself: I have decided to enroll in a free/low cost course via coursera.org to learn about personal finance or project management. The last time I had homework on a consistent basis was in 2006. The only homework I have been exposed to lately are 1st grade sight words. Pray church!
- When I fail I learn: Moment of transparency. I have been married and divorced twice. Now if I have not learned anything from those failures; then it’s just a crime against humanity LOL! Third times a charm baby!!!! The next one is getting the Mama V 5.0 version of me. What were once seen as failures are really opportunities to learn and teach.
- If you succeed, I’m inspired: I LOVE seeing people win. I LOVE to support others. I LOVE rooting for the underdog. The comeback story is the best invented. In the words of a great T-shirt line by LaTasha Eadyy Haynes.
- My effort and attitude determine everything: I am the co-captain of my own ship. I am the co-pilot of the journey. God is ultimately in charge. However, He has provided us with this thing called “free will”. In the end we get to choose either to be in His will or in His way. Faith without works is dead. Your faith is solely dependent on your effort and attitude. Effort and attitude have allowed me to sprinkle some #blackgirlmagic on various areas of my life.
Let me leave you with some inspirational words and some#blackgirlmagic as I close out this blog.