Good Evening, Good People! Tonight’s Not So Random Thoughts Before Bed is focused on the “S” word that we really dislike, but need to love in order to get further in whatever journey we are on. This “S” word makes most people uncomfortable, want to retreat, take back control, take their marbles and go play elsewhere. The word is “Surrender”. On this expedition called life, we must learn to fully surrender to the process we are going through. Yes, I said fully. Let’s look at the why and the how of surrendering to the process:
- It’s good for your sanity. When you constantly try to fight against the current of life it’s tiring . You become weak, you are not your best self. You become an unrecognizable fraction of yourself and you feel crazy. Have you ever watched a little child learn how to swim? When they are super afraid of being let go, they start screaming, flinging their little arms and legs. The first thing someone tells them is to calm down. But they look crazy while going through the process because they are literally in 3 feet of water (acting a nut). They may even start to feel out of control. That’s because they have not surrendered fully to the process. They don’t trust the water or the person who is helping them. However, have you noticed that most children still want to go through the process because they know swimming is fun and they have a goal to accomplish. Surrendering is Fun. There is “freedom” in surrendering. See the blog from yesterday if you don’t believe me (notsorandomthoughtsofmamav.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/let-freedom-ring-not-so-random-thoughts-before-bed/). And you eventually accomplish your goals once you let go. (Disclaimer: I don’t know how to swim and neither do 2 out of my 3 children. See I’ll tell it before somebody else puts me on blast, but now I feel like I have to put that on my things to do before 2015 ends list because it is public knowledge. I just punk’d myself).
- You don’t want God’s foot on your neck. When the Lord “gets down to where you live and breath” (my mama’s favorite saying) He literally and figuratively has His foot on your neck to make you tap out and just surrender to His will and way for your life. Most times we want to do who & what feels good to us but ain’t good for us. (Yeah, I went there!) However, there comes a point that God will intervene and put His foot down. We are gasping for air and end up tapping out like a MMA fighter. It would have just been easier to not go there in the first place.
- We want to grow. Surrendering requires a lot of maturity and trust. If we want to grow in a way that is positive and live a full life we have to grow like a flower— in the direction of the “Son”. Did y’all get that?
- It speeds up the process. Okay, let’s have a transparent moment. My name is Mama V and I was previously a control freak (Everyone, say hi Mama V). Wanted to control the situation, the process, the logistics and the path of everything in my life and others. I wanted to tell them what was best for them…even if they didn’t ask. But guess what, it stunted my growth. If I learned earlier in life to surrender I probably would be further along in my journey. But I am glad that God knows how to redeem the time.
- Renew your mind. A made up mind is as comfortable as a made up bed. When you shift to letting life happen and being intentional about your “surrender plan” –your mind, body and soul are at ease. You are equipped to handle any situation that life throws at you because your mind is constantly renewed. You know who runs the world (no, not Beyonce) and who the world is run by (no, not the illuminati).
- Read. I love to read and write. When I was younger I thought I was going to be a journalist or an investigative reporter. I was nosey and inquisitive..a lethal combination if not directed in the right way. But never the less, I have always had a thirst for knowledge of how I could better myself. I also started reading autobiographies of other people who have surrendered to the process. See a list of books at the end of this blog.
- Surround yourself with others who want to surrender. I should make my 6 year old say that 5 times quickly (she lost 5 teeth over the summer, go figure). But anyway, when you are around other like-minded people who are on the path to surrendering it makes the journey not so lonely. You can delight in the fact that you want complete peace and tranquility in every area of your life. Even if it’s not that way ALL of the time. But when you surrender, you stop giving the devil so much credit and understand that certain things have to happen in order to get you to the ultimate goal of leaving this earth an empty vessel. You can tell a lot about a person by looking at the top 5 people they hang with.
- Put your hands up and open your mouth. When you put your hands up in the air, the first thing that usually happens is that your arms slowly lift and your hands immediately open. Just as the saying goes “closed mouths don’t get fed” a “balled up hand can’t receive a blessing”. When you wave that white flag of surrender, miraculous things start to happen. And the best thing about this is that it is not solely dependent on who you are or what you did. It is merely based on you saying to God “I trust the process, I surrender and give EVERYTHING to You”. Then just like that, your atmosphere changes, you see things differently, your hear things clearly and you make peace with your past because you finally understand who holds your present and future.
Now trust me, I would never share anything with you that I have not tried myself. I ain’t ’bout that lie life. What I want YOU to know is that if He did it for lil ole me, He can certainly so that and much more for you and your circumstances. Life is not merely about what happens to us, but more about our outward and inward response to what happens to us. I want to leave you with three songs about surrender that capture the essence of this topic:
Kindred the Family Soul-Surrender to Love open.spotify.com/track/3iNUTL4DcRNvpRRshVwC9N
William McDowell- I Surrender All www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATl1SrW6RQ
William McDowell- Withholding Nothing youtu.be/ZdnV75zIQUA
Books to help you wave your flag and surrender:
- A God Dream by E. Dewey Smith
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- From Failure to Fearless by Kisha Mays
- The Blessed Life by Robert Morris
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- How Successful People Think by John C. Maxwell
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
- Conversations on Purpose for Women by Katie Brazelton
- Commanding Your Morning by Cindy Trimm
- Move by Greg L. Hawkins and Cally Parkins
- The 7 Day Prayer Warrior Experience by Stormie Omartian
- Bedside Blessings by Charles R. Swindoll